Your product photography should be three things.
- Attractive: Create a positive shopping experience with beautiful product imagery.
- Consistent: Make the product pages look good, and develop a smooth shopping experience.
- Accurate: Build consumer trust, increase sales and decrease returns.
It is the very last of these things that we are going to focus on in this article, building consumer trust with accurate photography.
In an Adobe report it was found that over 40% of revenue will likely come from repeat customers. Yet these repeat customers make up only 8% of website visitors. Which means that 8% are 5 times more valuable than the other 92%.
So, building a loyal customer base that trusts you and your brand is imperative when building a successful business, and the key to this, trust.
You want to create a positive online experience where the customer knows exactly what they are getting. You can do this by accurately representing your product which will limit returns, build brand trust, and help you develop a loyal customer base who come back time and again.
Accurately portraying your product is the first step, and an obstacle that many brands and photographers face.
Between colour representation, and accurate scaling it can become a minefield of Photoshop that over time corrupts you image quality.
Accurately representing different sizes while still creating consistent images is a challenge; you can’t always add in familiar objects like hands, coins, or rulers without creating distracting eyesores.
One way to deal with this is simply by putting exact measurements on our product page, or even on the product image to show its size. However, that doesn’t give the consumer a frame of reference.
And what do you do when you have a single item, or very similar items in different sizes?
Representing true scale is nearly impossible in a straight product photography shoot, as there is no reference available for the image.
The aim, isn’t to create a perfect scale on your website of your images. It’s to represent how al the product differ in size on your website. This will allow people to quickly identify small from big so that they don’t end up buying a clutch when they wanted a satchel.It’s about creating an impression of scale that is easily understood.
There is, thankfully, a fairly simple way out of this size dilemma.
By reflecting how big the image is within a predetermined canvas. For example, you might have three different sized bottles: Chillys Bottles are a good example.
with a range of products of varying different sizes it is important fr shoppers to quickly and easly e able to distinguish large from small at a glance.
In these three images they adjust the margins around the images, using the same background to give the impression of accurate sizes relative to the other products.
For consistency you will want to work out a basic sizing guide which determines the margins of your items so that people can easily browse our website and pick out accurate sizes.
A “margin” in this context is the distance between your product and the edge of its image, measured in four directions: top, bottom, right, and left. We’re primarily concerned with the top margin.
Creating your Sizing Guide
Your sizing guide should be scaled to create an intuitive impression of different sizes.
Step 1. Create a new Photoshop document set up a canvas to your existing specifications.
Step 2. Set the guideline for the bottom of the image. This is where the bottom of all your images will sit within the canvas. guide for bottom aligning your product.
Leave some white space (margin) below the bottom line to allow a little breathing room for your product; we recommend something in the region of ten percent.
Step 3. Next, set the largest guide for your biggest product pieces. We suggest using the same amount of top margin as bottom margin, for consistency’s sake.
Step 4. Set your medium guide the amount you feel represents a noticeable change in measurement from large to medium. It doesn’t have to be proportionate to physical measurements, just significant enough to differentiate it from larger or smaller products.
Step 5. Finally, set your smallest guide the same distance away from medium as medium is from large. Make sure your product will still be clearly visible at that size. If it’s not, start over from the beginning with a larger “large.”
Accurately representing your product prevents confusion, limits returns, and builds brand loyalty.
For the best results we always recommend that you outsource to professionals for our photography and post-production.
If you would like to know how we can help you create great product photography to help you increase sale, get in contact.